I'll break this study down as follows:
1. The "official" position from Nasa
2. Some of the inconsistencies, coincidences (?), and possible reasons to dispute the "official" position
3. Scriptural references that may be in play
4. The "Bottom-line" on this mystery
1. The "Official" position, per NASA:
Comet Elenin: Preview of a Coming Attraction
You may have heard the news: Comet Elenin is coming to the inner-solar system this fall. Comet Elenin (also known by its astronomical name C/2010 X1), was first detected on Dec. 10, 2010 by Leonid Elenin, an observer in Lyubertsy, Russia, who made the discovery "remotely" using the ISON-NM observatory near Mayhill, New Mexico. At the time of the discovery, the comet was about 647 million kilometers (401 million miles) from Earth. Over the past four-and-a-half months, the comet has – as comets do – closed the distance to Earth's vicinity as it makes its way closer to perihelion (its closest point to the sun).
"That is what happens with these long-period comets that come in from way outside our planetary system," said Don Yeomans of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "They make these long, majestic, speedy arcs through our solar system, and sometimes they put on a great show. But not Elenin. Right now that comet looks kind of wimpy."
How does a NASA scientist define cometary wimpiness?
"We're talking about how a comet looks as it safely flies past us," said Yeomans. "Some cometary visitors arriving from beyond the planetary region – like Hale-Bopp in 1997 -- have really lit up the night sky where you can see them easily with the naked eye as they safely transit the inner-solar system. But Elenin is trending toward the other end of the spectrum. You'll probably need a good pair of binoculars, clear skies, and a dark, secluded location to see it even on its brightest night."
Comet Elenin should be at its brightest shortly before the time of its closest approach to Earth on Oct. 16 of this year.
That date is worth remembering, but we'll get into that later in this post. On October 16-17 this "comet" will be at its closest point to the earth.
Now NASA takes effort to debunk some of the "internet conspiracy theories":
"Comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit, nor will it influence us in any way here on Earth," said Yeomans. "It will get no closer to Earth than 35 million kilometers [about 22 million miles]."
"Comet Elenin will not only be far away, it is also on the small side for comets," said Yeomans. "And comets are not the most densely-packed objects out there. They usually have the density of something akin to loosely packed icy dirt.
"So you've got a modest-sized icy dirtball that is getting no closer than 35 million kilometers," said Yeomans. "It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."
So there you have the "official position" from NASA.
Also see this "Q and A" from NASA:
Answered Question: Ask an Astrobiologist
2. Why NASA may be incorrect or hiding the truth
(I don't necessarily endorse these views, but below are some links to what is currently being discussed):
I will also add that if there were to be a "significant" event coming our way, I don't trust NASA any more than I trust some of the sources below). Additionally, I don't mistrust NASA either. In this current era, the only trust I have is in the Holy Bible:
There are reasons to believe that Elenin may not be a comet, but a "Dwarf Star" and/or a comet that is much much larger than NASA is telling us. One of the reasons for this belief (and there are many) is the fact/coincidence of the epic earthquakes we have seen on earth over the past several months, and the idea that Elenin may be causing these quakes:
One of the most rational and easy to understand links to this idea is seen here (video that is worth watching):
Planet Elenin - Nibiru - Brown Dwarf Star Is Coming
This video links the position of Elenin when it is in alignment with other planets (theoretically, then exerting the greatest gravitational pull on earth), and therefore precipitating the big quakes seen such as Chile and Japan.
Also see this related article, which gives us key dates, the "alignments" and key earthquakes:
Here Comes Elenin
Big seems to be the appropriate word for we now have the first actual astronomical calculations that puts the coma (the part they can see is 50,000 miles in diameter. Yes a big rock!
“On April 8th at our Russian observatory we carried out planned observations of Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin). An analysis of the results of the observations shows a rapid growth of the coma. Besides the internal compact gas envelope, the forming rarified external coma is also visible in the image. Its diameter exceeds 1 minute of arc, or 80,000 km! It is possible that such a rapid growth of the coma is associated with the apparent superposition over it of the comet’s dust tail, which after opposition, still remains invisible to the earthly observer.”
The coma is what astronomers actually see and is actually much bigger than the core. It’s the green in the above picture that they are saying is 80,000 km or 50,000 miles across. We could estimate that the core might be half the diameter of the coma or approximately 25,000 miles. Big enough—it seems to be already stirring up the Earth under our feet.
There is also a video link contained within this post which explains why Elenin may be much larger than NASA is telling us.
The paragraph below serves as an introduction to a nice chart revealing the alignment of Elenin with the solar system planets and subsequent earthquakes:
We have news out of Cornell University that sustains the view that Elenin is playing a direct part in causing large earthquakes. Professor Mensur Omerbashich is saying that his “georesonator concept in which tidally induced magnification of Earth masses’ resonance causes seismicity.” This trashes NASA’s assertion that the humongous earthquake we saw in Japan and before that with the ones in Chile and New Zealand were coincidental with alignments between Elenin, the Earth and the Sun.
It seems like every time Elenin lines up with Earth and another planet or the Sun we have an earthquake, the nearer Elenin gets the bigger the earthquake
This link (below) also contains some interesting information and a nice visual graphic in which you can enter various dates and see where Elenin will be at different times (past and future):
Bad News from NASA: Proof That Comet Elenin is Affecting Earth
Elenin is presently being tracked as it goes through the asteroid belt on its way into the inner solar system. I am truly sorry to have to be the bearer of such grave and threatening news but the source, NASA, is impeccable. We have an incoming mass (what might possibly be a neutron star) coming in and it will do a hard turn around the sun like any comet would, crossing and coming in between Mercury and Venus before starting its journey back out. On its way out it will cross our bow, meaning it will pass very close to the earth and the earth will pass behind it, plowing into its tail.
In the video below you will see this explained graphically. What you will see with mathematical precision is that every time this celestial body comes into alignment with the earth and sun we have a huge earthquake.
The last three alignments produced the Japanese 9.0 quake, the one in New Zealand and before that the one in Chile. On March 11th Elenin was much farther out. When the next alignment happens it will be devastatingly close. The main point to understand is that if Elenin was just a normal comet it would not have the mass to generate a gravity pull that would affect the earth when the earth swings around into alignment.
David Morrison, Astrobiology Senior Scientist at NASA, in an official communication on March 1st acknowledged no threat from Elenin. Ten days later Elenin came into alignment with the earth and the sun . . . and Japan was almost destroyed.
So let me attempt to summarize what we have thus far:
1. This object may be a comet which will have no affect on the earth
2. This object could already be causing earthquakes on earth (based upon its alignment with other planets and the sun) and if this is true (as opposed to coincidences) then it is much larger and if this is so, we would expect it to have even bigger impacts on earth as future dates would see more significant "alignments" along with the fact that the "comet" would be closer to earth.
KEY DATES TO REMEMBER (if the above is true):
Another alignment with the sun and other planets (similar to the alignment's seen above which, theoretically cause the huge earthquakes seen). If the theory is true, then around this date we would expect to see another large quake.
Elenin is closest to the Earth and presumably would affect the earth's crust simply because of the close proximity.
If Elenin is indeed a comet, then beginning on or around this date, we would be in the tail and could see a meteor shower like never seen before.
This date marks another planetary and sun alignment with Elenin, as it begins its exit from the solar system. If theories are true, we would expect to see more large quakes on or around this date.
I am marking these dates on the calendar - just in case - and it has generated enough interest around the world that it is worth watching.
3. Scriptural references that could be in play
(in addition to Jesus informing us of earthquakes in His Olivet Discourse):
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehension of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken."
"I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.
Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty, and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains."
The reason for not including other, similar biblical references, such as Revelation 8:7-12 is the simple fact that such references occur much later in the Tribulation, and the fact that the next 5 months just wouldn't allow enough time on the prophetic timeline for such events to happen so soon.
You may also note that the reference above is early in the Tribulation (from the first seal judgements, thus making such events possible within the time frame of the next 4-6 months).
4. The "Bottom-Line":
1. We know that this comet or "brown dwarf" will not collide with the earth or cause complete destruction of planet earth - simply based upon what we know about the viability of the planet, which is necessary for the remaining prophecies to be completed, not to mention Christ's 1,000 year reign on the planet.
2. It is quite possible that this object is larger than what we are being told (whether it is a larger comet or a brown dwarf), and it is quite possible that it will cause large earthquakes during the dates given above. This would be consistent with the Olivet Discourse (earthquakes) and a world which is in turmoil, with "fear", "apprehension" and "heavenly bodies" being shaken.
3. It is also possible, as some speculate, that this object could cause Yellowstone to erupt and the New Madrid fault to erupt - both of which would completely remove the U.S. from "world power" status - something we also know will happen.
4. IF (and I repeat "if") the scriptural reference given in Revelation 6 (above) is associated with Elenin - then several things have to happen very rapidly between now and then, and such events would include:
- The Rapture of the Church
- The confirmation of the covenant of Daniel 9:27 (involving the rise of the antichrist)
- The beginning of the Tribulation.
#4 seems unlikely, and this is without mentioning the various battles of Isaiah 17, Ezekiel 38-39, etc., all of which we expect to happen either prior to the Tribulation or very early in the Tribulation.
5. Many of us (me included) believe that Matthew 24:37 is a reference to the Rapture of the Church, therefore, we will be living "As it was in the days of Noah", and in this context, life will essentially be relatively "normal" at the time of the Rapture.
SO.....From all of this, my humble opinion is as follows:
- The Rapture of the Church could occur in the coming weeks, and if so, all bets are off. In this scenario, Elenin could be a huge, epic event, contributing to or causing the sixth seal judgment. This still seems unlikely, given that the battles of the Middle East would almost have to take place in the midst of these epic, global events (or earlier, but that means they need to start in the next few weeks). Somehow this seems highly unlikely, but still possible.
- It seems more likely to see the following:
1. This Elenin object could continue to cause large earthquakes, which is highly consistent with Jesus' prophecy (Olivet), causing further destruction as we would expect on planet earth, based upon these quakes.
2. We could see meteors hit the earth (consistent with Luke 21:25) as the earth passes through Elenin's tail in early November.
3. NASA is correct and this is a relatively small comet having no effect on the planet al all.
Once again, here are the key dates:
1. September 27: Another "alignment" which would theoretically cause large earthquake(s)
2. October 16-17: Elenin passes closest to earth
3. November 5: Earth passes through Elenin's tail.
4. November 23: Another "alignment", theoretically causing large earthquake(s).
We shall see.