Thursday, March 26, 2020

Hal Lindsey: Answering Fear


Answering Fear

Hal Lindsey


I’ve never counted them, but I have read that phrases like “fear not” or “do not be afraid” occur over 300 times in the Bible. Clearly, God does not want us to be afraid. In fact, He commands us not to fear. 

That’s because, in many ways, fear and faith are opposites. And Hebrews 11:6 says, “Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.”

And yet, when countries around the world are declaring national emergencies, the temptation to fear can grow. When markets falter, and wealth disappears before our eyes, we might be tempted to feel anxiety. The coronavirus COVID-19 is what Psalm 91:6 calls a “pestilence that stalks in darkness.” We know it’s there, and we know it’s deadly, but we can’t see it.

When we’re tempted to fear, what does God say?

2 Timothy 1:7 says, “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”

In Acts 20, Paul talked about his many afflictions and trials. Then, in verse 24, he put those difficulties into perspective. He said, “But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.”

If your hope is in this world only, then you should be afraid. But if through the finished work of Jesus on the cross, you live in the assurance of heaven, then don’t be afraid. Don’t be moved by any of the things the world is throwing at you.

Romans 8:15 says, “For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, ‘Abba! Father!’”

The New Living Bible translates Philippians 4:6 like this. “Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” 

Cry out to Him as a child would cry out to his dear father — full of faith and trust. Then thank Him for all He has done.

1 John 4:18 says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear.”

Psalms 34:4 says, “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears.”

In John 14:27, Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.”

Psalms 57:1 says, “In the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by.”

Isaiah 26:3 says, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.”

These are difficult days. We should be prudent and plan things as well as we can. But panic? Fear? No! Let the Living God keep you in perfect peace.

3 comments:

Waterer said...

Love this Word.

Scott said...

He's still going strong after all these years ! I love seeing him still as active as he is.

ShelleyB said...

Forgive me, I'm so behind in my reading. :o) Thank you for the article and the comment, Scott. I LOVE Hal. I was just wondering about him the other day. Thankful to hear he is still going strong. He is the same age as my mom, who passed away last Easter - she would have been 94 this 4/8. She didn't make it to the rapture, but I have always prayed Hal would. Maranatha and God Bless!