Iran: We Downed A U.S. Spy Drone
The official Iranian news agency IRNA reported Sunday that national military forces have brought down a US Lockheed Martin RQ-170 stealth unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). The aircraft sustained "little damage" and is in the possession of the Iranian military, IRNA reported.
Iran's Arabic-language Al Alam state television network quoted an unnamed source as saying the spy drone "was seized by the Iranian armed forces."
Who knows if this real of something ginned up by the Iranian government for whatever purposes they may have. If it is real, then there could be significant implications, as Iran has promised to respond and if this is made up, then we'd have to begin searching for reasons that Iran would gin up such claims.
The source said Iran's response to the drone's violation of its airspace "will not be limited to the country's borders."
Iran Press TV quoted an informed source who said on Sunday that Iran Army's electronic warfare unit successfully targeted the American-built RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft after it crossed into Iranian airspace over the border with neighboring Afghanistan.
If confirmed, this suggests the RQ-170 was intercepted by electronic means rather than being shot down. Trimble explained that this "may explain the lack of damage."
Iran military says it shot down U.S. drone in east province
Iran's military has shot down a US reconnaissance drone aircraft in eastern Iran and has threatened to respond to the violation of Iranian airspace, a military source told state television on Sunday.
Analysts say Tehran could retaliate by launching hit-and-run strikes in the Gulf and by closing the Strait of Hormuz. About 40 percent of all traded oil leaves the Gulf region through the strategic waterway.
In related news, Hezbollah-affiliated Lebanese website al-Intiqad on Sunday posted what they claim to be pictures of Israeli spy devices that IAF aircraft destroyed on Friday after they had been discovered in southern Lebanon.
Also in the Middle East, we see an update on Syria:
Assad Ignores Arab League Ultimatum, 25 more die
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad appears to be ignoring an ultimatum by his fellow Arab leaders, and what may have been their final attempt to toss out a life preserver before abandoning him to the fate of his late friend, Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi.
Sunday was the deadline for Syria to agree to a final invitation by the Arab League to sign -- and comply with - an agreement to end government violence against civilian protesters. But by late afternoon local time, Damascus had yet to reply to the Arab League's initiative, extended Saturday to the Syrian foreign ministry.
Meanwhile, at least 25 people died Saturday in clashes between government troops and a growing army of Syrian military defectors who have joined the movement to topple President al-Assad.
In addition to the Arab League, the European Union, Turkey, the United States and Canada have imposed sanctions on Damascus, but to no effect.
Nearly all governments have urged their citizens to leave the country while there are still commercial flights available. All flights between Syria and its Arab neighbors are scheduled to cease by December 15.
The United Nations has estimated that some 4,000 people have died in the violence since the protests began in March. Activists and human rights organizations place the death toll higher, with figures climbing above 4,500 dead. November was the deadliest month so far, with close to 1,000 people killed in clashes, according to activist groups.
Meanwhile, we await the "Responsibility to Protect" doctrine to begin, which could be any day now. Then we will await a Syrian attack on Israel, as promised.