The IDF said at least 21 rockets were fired at southern Israel from the Gaza Strip in the first two bombardments, 13 of which were intercepted by the Iron Dome.
The Islamic Jihad took responsibility for the attacks, writing on its website that it fired the rockets in response to Israel taking the terrorist operative’s corpse.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Naftali Bennett and senior members of Israel’s security services met in the military’s Kirya headquarters in Tel Aviv on Sunday night to discuss both a response to the attack and the situation in the Gaza Strip in general.
A central issue in these discussions would likely be whether to target only the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, which the IDF believes was behind most of the recent attacks along the border, or to also strike the Hamas terror group, the de facto ruler of Gaza, for failing to rein in the Islamic Jihad.
The second wave of rocket fire, at around 8 p.m., was directed toward the city of Ashkelon and the Eshkol region.
An Eshkol spokesperson said the projectiles fired at the region appeared to have landed in open fields outside the community of Kissufim.
Earlier on Sunday, the Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror groups denounced Israel for retrieving the body of the alleged bomb-planter.
The Islamic Jihad threatened that “the blood of martyrs will not be in vain.” Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said the “maltreatment” of the corpse was “another heinous crime that has been added to its record of awful crimes at the expense of our Palestinian people.”