Among the commanders is one of Islamic State’s most notorious recruiters, Abu Hamam Jazrawi, the TV report said.
The incident involved a short exchange of gunfire between an Islamic State-affiliated terrorist group and Israeli soldiers, and ended with an IDF airstrike that killed four militants.
IDF has warned of a potential — some say inevitable — conflict with them and has been preparing to respond to cross-border attacks.
It had been several weeks since we had the familiar verbal jawboning back and forth between North Korea and Donald Trump, and so to break the monotony, North Korea's foreign minister decided to lob several provocations at Donald Trump, whom Pyongyang is clearly trolling at this point, claiming that it was Trump's speech at the UN last month that "lit the wick of war", and that North Korea will make the US pay "with a hail of fire." The diplomatic also said that North Korea has "almost achieved a balance of power" with the US.
Separately, North Korea crushed any hopes for de-escalation and de-nuclearization, something which even China has recently been asking for, and claimed that North Korea's "nuclear program guarantees peace and safety in the region" and more apropos, that the country's nuclear program will "never be a matter of discussion while the US is intent on crushing North Korea."
As usual, should Kim proceed with another test launch, he leaves the ball in Trump's court, and while until recently it was largely a given that Trump would do nothing, following his recent comments about a "calm before the storm", another provocation greenlighting a US intervention in North Korea, may be just what the president is hoping for, potential deadly retaliation which according to some estimates could kill over 2 million South Koreans, be damned.
The United States announced multi-million dollar rewards for information on two Hezbollah operatives, and the top U.S. counterterror official said that intelligence agencies have assessed that Hezbollah is “determined” to attack the U.S. homeland, at a State Department briefing Tuesday.
A reward of up to $7 million is being offered for information leading to the capture of Talal Hamiyah and one of up to $5 million for information leading to the capture of Fuad Shukr.
According to Sales, Hamiyah, who heads Hezbollah’s “External Security Organization” which executes terror attacks outside of Lebanon, has been implicated on a number of attacks, hijackings and kidnappings that have targeted American citizens. Shukr, a member of Hezbollah’s Jihad Council, the terror group’s highest military body. Shukr is also implicated in planning the 1983 bombing of U.S. Marines barracks in Beirut that killed 241 Marines.
Noting that the arrest of two Hezbollah operatives in June in the United States served as “a stark reminder” of the terror organization’s global reach, Rasmussen said, “It’s our assessment that Hizballah is determined to give itself a potential homeland option as a critical component of its terrorism playbook, and that is something that those of us in the counterterrorism community take very, very seriously.”
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem has reiterated Damascus' calls to "dissolve" the international coalition led by Washington in Syria, accusing the alliance of not fighting terrorists, but rather destroying the country and its people.
"This coalition was created to annihilate ISIS [Islamic State/IS], but it annihilates the Syrian people and not ISIS," Muallem told RT in Sochi, where the minister held talks with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov.
The Syrian diplomat said that, contrary to its stated mission, the US-led alliance "protects ISIS," and that he saw no sense in so many countries being members of the coalition. Muallem also branded the 62-state alliance "froth," insisting that "it should cease to exist."
"This international coalition has been committing crimes against the Syrian people. In the last two months, thousands of Syrian civilians, women and children mainly, have become the victims of these crimes," he said.
The minister also lashed out at Ankara, claiming "there is a close connection" between Turkey and terrorist groups in Syria.
"Turkey trains terrorists, arms them and facilitates their infiltration into the territory of Syria. This is why I can state that Turkey's presence in Syria is illegal," Muallem told RT.
Meanwhile, the US-led campaign in the region has long been dubbed "illegitimate" by Damascus. Demanding that the alliance's strikes in Syria stop, the government has sent official letters to the United Nations. The US and its allies must pay for the destruction of Syrian infrastructure and bear legal responsibility for "illegitimately" bombing civilian targets, Damascus says.
Despite digging deep into Stephen Paddock’s background, investigators have struggled to understand what drove the 64-year-old man, who described himself as a “professional gambler,” to slaughter 58 people and injure hundreds more when he opened fire from his 32nd-floor hotel room on crowds attending a country music concert in Las Vegas. Nothing so far has reportedly led them to believe ISIS’s claim that Paddock converted to Islam and acted as “a soldier” of the group’s self-styled caliphate, leaving observers wondering why the global militant group would risk making such an outlandish, intentionally false allegation.
Smith, who co-founded Kronos Advisory and regularly counsels federal lawmakers on security issues, said not only would this be a blow to the intelligence community’s efforts to prevent the jihadis from launching deadly attacks in the West, but it would also bolster the embattled group’s appeal at a time when it’s quickly losing ground in Iraq and Syria.
ISIS, which went so far as to dub Paddock “Abu Abdul Barr al-Amriki,” doubled down on its claims on Thursday by dedicating an infographic in its weekly digital magazine al-Naba to the killings. The image mostly repeated details of the attack already published by the media, but specified that Paddock had “converted to Islam six months ago.”
According to the Russian Ministry of Defense, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Forces will now operate from a base in Vladivostok, less than 100 miles from the border with North Korea.
This is a significant development for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Vladivostok’s proximity to Sonbong, North Korea. The northern port city is a vital transportation hub between North Korea and both China and Russia, and is also home to a major electrical power plant.
It also sends a mixed message to Kim Jong-un over which side Russia might take if war does break out against the U.S. and its allies in the region.