A volcano in western Indonesian unleashed hot clouds of ash on Saturday, killing three villagers and injuring four others, an official said.
Mount Sinabung in North Sumatra province blasted volcanic ash as high as 3 kilometers (2 miles) into the sky, said National Disaster Management Agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho. He said ash tumbled down the slopes as far as 4.5 kilometers (3 miles) westward into a river.
The 2,600-meter (8,530-foot) -high mountain had been dormant for four centuries before springing to life in August 2010, killing two people and forcing 30,000 to flee. An eruption in February 2014 killed 16 people.
All the victims of Saturday’s eruption were working on their farms in the village of Gamber, about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) away from the slope, or within the danger area. Video images showed dead farm animals covered in dust.
Mount Sinabung is among more than 120 active volcanoes in Indonesia, which is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
Mount Etna, Europe's highest active volcano, rumbled at daybreak on Saturday on the southern Italian island of Sicily.
An event hosted by a pro-Israel student group ended abruptly Wednesday night as police were called to protect attendees from an angry mob that had gathered. One student who never made it inside the venue called 9-1-1 as she hid in fear from anti-Israel activists who chased her into a building on the University of California-Irvine campus.
Sophomore Eliana Kopley had just left a Holocaust-related event when she was walking toward the facility featuring a screening of “Beneath the Helmet,” a documentary about the Israel Defense Forces. As she arrived at the event hosted by Students Supporting Israel, Ms. Kopley was met by an angry crowd pounding on the doors and windows—engaged in violent chants targeting the Jewish state.
“I was terrified. There is no other word to describe how I felt,” Ms. Kopley told the Haym Salomon Center.
As the mob tried to gain entrance to the event, one protestor shouted, “If we’re not allowed in, you’re not allowed in!”
With the crowd physically forbidding Ms. Kopley from attending the event and chants inciting violence against Jews and Israel such as “Intifada, Intifada—Long live the Intifada!” and “F**k Israel!” Ms. Kopley walked away from the scene.
But she was not alone. A group of female students followed her as she escaped to safety in the room nearby
So she did. As the chanting heightened, Ms. Kopley remained on the line with 9-1-1 until an officer found her shortly after. Two officers, who decided it would be best to put on black rubber gloves to protect them from sharp objects, escorted her through the crowd of protesters to the nearby film screening safely.
UC-Irvine is no stranger to anti-Israel activity and incidents of anti-Semitism.
Earlier this month, Jewish and pro-Israel students found themselves caught in what they describe as a “fire of hate” and feelings of mourning as they observed Holocaust Remembrance Day. The Muslim Student Union, Jewish Voice for Peace, Students for Justice in Palestine and the American Indian Student Association just happened to organize a week of anti-Israel activity marketed under the title, “Anti-Zionism: The Roots of Oppression,” during the same week.
A 2012 report by the Anti-Defamation League documents a decade of anti-Semitism on UCI campus. The Muslim Student Union (MSU) is named as the leading culprit of anti-Semitism on campus. In 2010 the student group was suspended for a semester after nine students from the group were arrested for disrupting the speech of Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren.
Protest organizers Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) commended the demonstration on Facebook, calling it a “success” and justifying the violent protesting tactics because of the presence of police and IDF soldiers
Senior Army and Pentagon strategists and planners are considering ways to fire existing weapons platforms in new ways around the globe – including the possible placement of mobile artillery units in areas of the South China Sea to, if necessary, function as air-defense weapons to knock incoming rockets and cruise missiles out of the sky.
Alongside the South China Sea, more mobile artillery weapons used for air defense could also prove useful in areas such as the Middle East and Eastern Europe, officials said. Having mobile counter-air weapons such as the M109 Paladin, able to fire 155m precision rounds on-the-move, could prove to be an effective air-defense deterrent against Russian missiles, aircraft and rockets in Eastern Europe, a senior Army official told Scout Warrior.
Pentagon officials have publicly stated the U.S. will continue “freedom of navigation” exercises wherein Navy ships sail within 12 miles of territory claimed by the Chinese - and tensions are clearly on the rise. In addition to these activities, it is entirely possible the U.S. could also find ways to deploy more offensive and defensive weapons to the region.
“We could use existing Howitzers and that type of munition (155m shells) to knock out incoming threats when people try to hit us from the air at long ranges using rockets and cruise missiles,” a senior Army official said.
Howitzers or Paladins could be used as a mobile, direct countermeasures to incoming rockets, he said. A key advantage to using a Paladin is that it is a mobile platform which could adjust to moving or fast-changing approaching enemy fire.
“A Howitzer can go where it has to go. It is a way of changing an offensive weapon and using it in dual capacity,” the official explained. “This opens the door to opportunities and options we have not had before with mobile defensive platforms and offensive capabilities."
Mobile air defenses such as an Army M777 or Paladin Howitzer weapon could use precision rounds and advancing fire-control technology to destroy threatening air assets such as enemy aircraft, drones or incoming artillery fire.
As opposition to Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro intensifies, the country is now preparing for the biggest military exercises in its history this Saturday – an opportunity to flex its military muscle ahead of possible violent street protests spurred by civilian unrest.
Maduro, who is facing a recall referendum, has warned that he may declare a “state of internal commotion” if a coup occurs, according to the Latin America Herald Tribune. The state of internal commotion would allow the government to bypass normal legislative procedures in order to impose stricter security measures.
The U.S. government said the South American country is a threat to its own national security, according to statements made by the Venezuelan defense minister on state television Thursday.
Maduro has long been accused of human rights violations, including an abuse of power. Last week, he called for a full-blown state of emergency to go into effect for the next 60 days, expanding the state of “economic emergency” he had announced in January. The move was needed to combat foreign aggression, including a U.S. plot to topple his government, Maduro claimed. The decree gives Maduro extra powers to deal with the economic crisis, including the right to impose tougher security measures – and it’s backed by the Venezuelan Supreme Court, which said the decree is justifiable.
In an address to the nation last week, Maduro said the measure will likely last through 2017, arguing it is "a fuller, more comprehensive protection for our people" which "guarantees peace, guarantees stability, that will allow us ... to recover the country's productive capacity,” according to Venezuelan media.
Opposition leaders, who want to eject Maduro from office, say the emergency decree is a ploy to maintain power and to limit the freedoms of citizens, according to Venezuelan media.
Bundy Ranch Political Prisoner & Reporter Exposes Govt’s Refusal to Admit Land Grabs are All about Uranium!
Political prisoner and free press reporter Pete Santilli has once again spoken the truth from jail and outed the DC central government's refusal to admit that their land grab, using the Bureau of Land Management, is all about Uranium.
Santilli claims there is circumstantial evidence that Hillary Clinton is involved in the sale of Uranium to Russia. This is nothing new as we have pointed out that the Russians paid the Clintons millions of dollars to obtain Uranium, which they then supplied to Iran. We also noted that some of that money has been used to fund the Clinton presidential campaign.
Pete made reference to Jon Rappaport's article on the issue:
"In September 2011, a representative from Oregon Energy, L.L.C. (formally Uranium One), met with local citizens, and county and state officials, to discuss the possibility of opening a uranium oxide ('yellowcake') mine in southern Malheur County in southeastern Oregon. Oregon Energy is interested in developing a 17-Claim parcel of land known as the Aurora Project through an open pit mining method. Besides the mine, there would be a mill for processing. The claim area occupies about 450 acres and is also referred to as the 'New U' uranium claims.
On May 7, 2012, Oregon Energy LLC made a presentation to the BLM outlining its plans for development for the mine.
The Vale District has agreed to work with Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on mitigation for the 'New U' uranium claims, which are located in core sage grouse habitat. Although the lands encompassing the claims have been designated core, the area is frequented by rockhounds and hunters, and has a crisscrossing of off-highway vehicle (OHV) roads and other significant land disturbance from the defunct Bretz Mercury Mine, abandoned in the 1960s."
Santilli claims to have actual documentation that will be revealed during his trial, along with the historical information that we reported on earlier about Clark County being land that is part of the State of Nevada, not the central government.
This week, the New York Times revealed that leaders of the US-Canadian mining industry, major donors to the Clinton Foundation, sold to the Russians a company known as Uranium One, giving the Russians control of one fifth of all the uranium mined in the US. A headline in Pravda boasted, "Russian Nuclear Energy Conquers the World."
Not too surprisingly, to expedite the deal, Uranium One'schairman made four donations to the Clinton Foundation totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had with the Obama White House to publicly identify all Clinton Foundation donors. In addition, shortly after the Russians announced their intention to acquire a majority stake in Uranium One, Mr. Clinton received $500,000 for a Moscow speech from a Russian investment bank that was promoting Uranium One stock.
But all that was peanuts compared to the donation just months after the Kazakh pact was finalized when the Clinton Foundation received another windfall: a $31.3 million donation from Uranium One shareholder, Frank Giustra—a gift that had remained secret until just last month. And Mr. Giustra has more recently pledged an additional $100 million. So important is Mr. Giustra to the Clinton Foundation that a separate financial entity, the Clinton Giustra Enterprise Partnership, has been established.
We have now sold Russia one fifth of our uranium mining capacity. But, to use a time honored phrase, "What possible difference can it make?" We can't process our own uranium anyhow. The Obama Administration closed down our only uranium enrichment plant in June of 2013.
So where do we now get our supply of enriched uranium? You guessed it. We buy it from Russia!
Post a Comment