UPDATE: 18:21 ET - Police are using a bomb disposal robot to investigate one of the bodies of a suspected shooter and their red backpack, one kilometer from Munich shopping centre, according to Der Spiegel.
UPDATE: 16:52 ET - Body count has been raised to 9 dead, 20 injured, according to police spokesman Peter Beck in Munich.
Germany’s Federal counter-terrorism police force dispatched to Munich.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel is reportedly still on vacation, her Chief of Staff Peter Altmaierreleased a statement on her behalf. Peter Altmaier said on German television that it is not possible to confirm a terrorist link to the Munich shooting, but an investigation is ongoing.
Peter Altmaier previously said on Tuesday evening in response to the Würzburg axe attack that refugees are no more likely than anyone else to commit terrorist atrocities.
German police are reporting that 2 other shootings taking place right now in Munich.
CNN interviewed an eyewitness named Lauretta who said:
I hear Allah Akbar. Allah Akbar. This I know because I’m muslim too. I hear this and I only crying. I hear - like an alarm, boom, boom, boom… and he’s still killing the children. They make nothing, the children were sitting to eat. They can’t run.
UPDATE: 15:30 ET - 6 dead. Police asking media to not upload photos and video as to not compromise safety of German law enforcement personnel. Search for shooters extends outside of Munich.
On Friday around 6 PM local time a shooting was reported outside a McDonalds restaurant in the Olympia shopping mall located in the Moosach district of Munich. TRUNEWS has acquired a video showing a 20-30 year old Middle Eastern man pulling out a weapon outside a McDonalds and beginning to fire on patrons. Based on geographic reference points we believe this to be footage of one of the shooters in Munch.
Local media is reporting that there may be up to 3 shooters involved in the mall attack.
There are reports from Twitter of further shooting at Karlsplatz square in central Munich and Isartor square, close to the city center. Die Welt has reported that the police are aware of these posts, and do believe there are “several” shooters.
The Bavarian Interior Ministry said three people were dead, NTV television reported. A Munich police spokeswoman said multiple people were killed or wounded.
Police spokeswomen Claudia Kvenzel called the attack a “shooting spree” and said that the Olympia shopping mall portion was over. There was no immediate information about injuries or deaths.
Lynn Stein, who said she works at the Jack Wolfskin store in the mall, told CNN that the shooter was inside the mall.
“I heard several shots,” Stein said. “(I) was just going to buy something while my coworker was still in the shop. People started running. I went outside as well; more people running outside. I think I heard more shots. Then it sounded like he went to the parking house next to the mall—several shots there.”
TRUNEWS will update this story as further information is made available.
At least 10 people have been killed in a mall shooting in the city of Munich, Germany.
The shooting began at a McDonalds before the suspects continued across the street to the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall in the Moosach district of Munich, Germany. Police have confirmed at least 10 deaths and at least 20 people are injured.
Authorities have determined with high probability that the shooter killed himself and acted alone. A red backpack, similar to one worn by McDonald's shooter, was found on a body roughly 1 km from the scene of the shooting. Earlier reports indicated that there were three gunman, but authorities appear to be dismissing that claim.
The shooter has been identified as being 18 years old, and a German citizen of Iranian origin. While a motive is not known at this time, police say there is no apparent link between the shooting and Islamic terrorism. He used a pistol, despite earlier reports of long rifles.
A spokesman for the Munich Police claims that at least 100 people witnessed the incident. Authorities have urged anyone with photos or videos from the scene to send them to the police.
There were also unconfirmed reports of shooting at a second location, those these have been deemed false by police. German TV channel ARD reported that the city's main train station was evacuated. The public transport agency announced that all subways, buses, and trams in the city were suspended, but have since been reopened.