The main dispute during Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s meeting on Monday with US special envoy Jared Kushner was over the premier’s insistence that Israel continue carrying out strikes on Hamas operatives who allegedly took part in the terror group’s October 7 onslaught, an official present at the sit-down tells The Times of Israel.
Earlier this month, Israel acknowledged having established a special operation to hunt down and kill every single Palestinian terrorist involved in the October 7, 2023, invasion and atrocities.
The mission has resulted in violations of the ceasefire that Israel and Hamas inked in October 2025, but the US-controlled Board of Peace has not adamantly objected, as the Israel Defense Forces in most cases has said those targeted posed an imminent threat to troops.
For months, the Board of Peace prioritized coaxing Hamas to accept its disarmament proposal, which it finally did on July 30.
Once in place, the plan envisions both sides immediately halting all military operations, though Netanyahu has come out against the proposal and raised that specific issue during his meeting with Kushner, according to the official present.
While Kushner assured Netanyahu that he would not oppose IDF strikes against those who genuinely pose an “imminent threat,” US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior aide told the premier that the rationale should not be widely interpreted, the official says.
To the frustration of the Board of Peace delegation, Netanyahu insisted the strikes against participants in the October 7 attack would continue, according to the official, who added that no agreement was reached on the matter.
A second source briefed on the meeting confirms the official’s account.
Hours after Kushner left Israel, the IDF carried out one of its deadliest strikes in months, targeting what it said was a gathering of senior Hamas operatives. At least six people were reported killed, including a minor, and over 10 wounded in the strike.
In addition to violating the Board of Peace’s stalled disarmament plan, the policy laid out by Netanyahu could go against Trump’s 20-point plan for ending the Gaza war, which the premier accepted in September of last year.
That proposal states that Hamas members who “commit to peaceful co-existence and to decommission their weapons will be given amnesty.”
The official present at the Monday meeting says Kushner also took issue with Netanyahu’s refusal to allow recruits for the new Palestinian police force to leave the Strip for training in Egypt.
The Board of Peace disarmament plan envisions Hamas handing over its weapons to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza’s new police force, in a process facilitated by the International Stabilization Force.
Kushner said Monday that he wants Hamas to begin handing over its weapons within a month, but without a sufficient number of already trained police recruits, there won’t be anyone for Hamas to give its weapons to.
No comments:
Post a Comment