Watching the signs can be very tiring and at times frustrating. With folks who get turned on to watching prophecy - I see a typical scenario. When some folks first get pointed in the direction of prophecy and the signs they often become VERY energized and assume that the Rapture of the Church, followed by the Tribulatuion and Second Coming will happen almost immediately. Which it could. But when this doesn't come to pass, occasionally they become frustrated and stop watching - often becoming skeptical.
Jesus stated that the signs would be observable for an entire generation to witness. With a generation approximately 110-120 years, and having started (we believe) during the WWI era (according to Matthew 24:6-8), then we may still have another 10-15 years. That would be if God decided to wait until the VERY end of the generation (don't forget Jesus simply said it would be within a generation, not necessarily the very very end of that generation). I don't believe we have that long, simply because I don't believe terrorists groups, out to destroy Israel will wait that long to attempt nuclear destuction of Israel.
I posted a response to this scenario (the scenario involving frustration at waiting for Jesus' return) in a popular prophecy message board and its worth repeating here:
I believe we are in the "End Times"
Every sign that we were told to watch for is present today. Every single one.
Jesus said to watch for these signs no less than 9 times in Olivet (Matthew, Luke and Mark). He was emphatic that we watch for these signs. After giving the signs, He then took the time to give ample parables stressing the importance of watching. He never gave a caveat "If you get tired of watching - then stop watching....If you feel that the time is NOT near, then you should stop watching.."...NO - Jesus never gave that declaration.
Lets look at the facts:
- Israel has been formed as a nation, fulfilling Ezekiel's vast prophecies.
- We have witnessed a ("last generation") - a generation that Jesus said would begin with "Nation against Nation, Kingdom against Kingdom", and "Wars and Rumors of War"....This, according to Fruchtenbaum, is an idiom for World War. The "Beginning of Birth Pains" combined with a spike in world Famine and Earthquakes....All of these signs spiked dramatically, in the WWI and WWII eras.
- The world's militaries, for the first time in human history can destroy the planet.
- According to Daniel 12 - this last generation would witness an unpresidented period of "Knowledge" and Travel"...Do I need to make this case?
- Persecution: More Christians (~ 150,000/year) are killed for their faith than EVER before. This ANNUAL number exceeds the entire 300 year period of Roman Persecution Christian killing
- ISRAEL is surrounded by enemies (after the miraculous re-gathering)
- ISREAL's land has been restored, with springs, greenery, plants, food, after having been a desert wasteland for 2000 years - fulfilling Ezekiels prophecies
- We see the push for global governance, global currency, and a "cashless society" like never before - not even close
- Gog-MaGog alliances are basically formed - today - FAR more than they have ever been in human history.
- The "Revived Roman Empire" is alive and well, in the EU/MEd Union - unequivocally.
- Famine, in raw numbers is higher today than it has EVER been in human history.
- Earthquakes - quake numbers today exceed any other period in history. By FAR - not even close.
- For the first time in human history - we have the technology for the Mark of the Beast. First time.
- For the first time in human history - the whole world can watch the Two Witnesses death and resurrection. First time.
These are the signs that we were told to watch for - and they are all here. What else do folks want or need to see??
This is just a brief synopsis of the signs...SO....There are only TWO possibilities. Either we are at the end of the last generation ----- OR ----- this is all just a HUGE coincidence..Yet the bible never informs us that there would be a period in history that ALL of the signs would APPEAR TO BE PRESENT - but not....Wouldn't the Bible inform us of such a coincidence?
Jesus said - during His first appearance that people were HYPOCRITS for knowing the weather signs for their farming purposes, BUT not knowing the signs of His arrival. He said to the two men leaving Jerusalem (Luke 24) - that they were SLOW OF HEART not to understand the prophecies of His coming. And again, He emphasized NINE times in Olivet to WATCH and to be PREPARED for His coming.
As a scientist - I can safely say that I have NEVER seen such an abundance of Data pointing in one single direction...Never. To say that we are not in the last days is simply ignoring the data.
Jesus may not come EXACTLY when we want Him to. We still have another 10-15 years left in this generation (based on Fructhtenbaum and others - view that we are in the generation), and If God tarries this long its HIS design and HIS decision. My whining won't speed things along as much as I'd like to be in New Jerusalem right now.
I understand that God has a perfect plan that plan may not coincide with MY plans...I believe the rapture will occur within the next couple of years (probably MUCH sooner), but if God decides to wait another 10-15 years:
I'll STILL FOLLOW JESUS' COMMANDS TO WATCH - AS I CONTINUE TO DO HIS WORK. I WILL NOT LET MY PERCEIVED "DELAYS" in JESUS' COMING TO ALLOW ME TO BE SAD, UNHAPPY OR TO STOP WATCHING. HE WILL COME WHEN HIS PERFECT TIMING IS RIGHT, AND I WILL BE WATCHING AS HE COMMANDED.