ISIS, the terror group that claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks last November, is plotting “enormous and spectacular attacks” on the West, according to a senior British police official.
Mark Rowley, the Metropolitan police assistant commissioner, said Monday during a press briefing on the terror threat against the U.K. that authorities have detected more plans to launch attacks on “western” lifestyles, The Guardian reported.
“In recent months we’ve seen … more plans to attack western lifestyle … [ISIS has gone] from that narrow focus on police and military as symbols of the state to something much broader. And you see a terrorist group that has big ambitions for enormous and spectacular attacks, not just the types that we’ve seen foiled to date,” Rowley told reporters.
“You see a terrorist group that while on the one hand has been acting as a cult to use propaganda to radicalize people to act in their name … you also see them trying to build bigger attacks,” Rowley continued.
Rowley further stated that ISIS has encouraged operatives who have underwent military training in Syria to travel to northern Europe and launch attacks there. Concerns of possible terrorist attacks in Europe and the United States have increased with the rise of ISIS in the Middle East, particularly following the coordinated attacks in Paris last November that killed 130 people.
Rowley said that U.K. authorities are prioritizing the search for potential links to terror networks.
“[The] shared effort to look for any possible links of those networks or other networks that have reached the U.K. is obviously a massively high priority,” Rowley stated.
The U.K. has seen a considerable increase in terrorism arrests in recent years. The count of individuals arrested on suspicions of terrorism increased by 57 percent in the most recent three-year period when compared with the previous three years. Roughly half of these apprehensions led to suspects being charged.
Islamist group Islamic State (ISIS) has threatened “Putin the apostate” with an imminent attack on Russian soil in a new propaganda video.
Since Russia began air strikes on ISIS and other anti-government targets in Syria during the last week of September 2015, there has been a concentrated anti-Russian backlash from the group. It claimed responsibility for downing the Russian passenger plane above Egypt in October and has continued to post Russian-language propaganda videos.
The latest video starts with a Russian news report on a car blast in the country’s predominantly Muslim Republic of Dagestan in February, which killed two and injured nine. The group of militants in the video, who speak in Russian and identify themselves as followers of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, take responsibility for the attack and threaten new hits on Russian soil.
Russia’s heavy aircraft carrier – its only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, could be sent to the Mediterranean this summer, a high-ranking official at the Russian Navy told TASS over the weekend.
“This summer, we plan the Admiral Kuznetsov’s campaign in the Mediterranean Sea, where it will lead the Navy group in that region,” the source said.
The Kuznetsov class ships should be able to carry up to 33 fixed-wing aircraft and 12 helicopters. It has D/E band air and surface target acquisition radar (passive electronically scanned array), F band surface search radar, G/H band flight control radar, I band navigation radar, and four K band fire-control radars for the Kashtan CIWS.
The ship has hull-mounted medium- and low-frequency search and attack sonar.
At the moment, the aircraft carrier is at a shipyard in Murmansk, where specialists prepare it for the long-distance campaign. But the source did not specify what tasks the flagship of the Russian Navy will have in the Mediterranean.
It’s probably good to have one of those around, especially when the US Sixth Fleet is floating nearby.
The permanent naval grouping in the Mediterranean now includes the missile cruiser Varyag armed with the Fort-M air defense system (the naval version of the S-300 antiaircraft missile system) and the large antisubmarine warfare ship Vice-Admiral Kulakov.
As tens of thousands of US and South Korean military conduct massive war games which deliberately simulate an invasion of North Korea, Gregory Elich speaks with Radio Sputnik’s Loud & Clear to discuss what Washington hopes to accomplish with its provocative drills.
"[The United States] portrays itself as seeking peace," Gregory Elich, member of the advisory board of the Korea Policy Institute, tells Loud & Clear host Brian Becker. "North Korea, on the other hand, has not attacked anyone, and it’s portrayed as being belligerent and threatening.
"This year will be the largest exercise yet held between South Korea and the United States, and they’re held in the area of the Korean peninsula. So they’re practicing the invasion of North Korea," Elich explains. “This year, for the first time, they’re going to be carrying out a scenario…which calls for a preemptive strike on North Korea and also has plans for what it calls decapitation strikes to kill North Korean leaders.
It’s also difficult to justify the US military exercises in light of the fact that similarly provocative drills conducted by the DPRK would be met with outrage.
"Let’s imagine that Russia and Cuba were conducting military exercises on an annual basis in the Caribbean, explicitly practicing the invasion of the United States. The media reaction would be absolutely hysterical and there would be calls for attacking Cuba and Russia.