The European Union (EU) foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, on Wednesday denounced Israel's approval of new construction in Judea and Samaria, saying the announcement risks making a two-state solution “impossible”.
Israel unveiled plans for 3,000 new homes in Judea and Samaria on Tuesday, noting the announcement is in addition to the 2,500 units announced last week.
The announcement "marks a very worrying trend, posing a direct challenge to the prospects of a viable two-state solution, which is increasingly difficult and risks becoming impossible," Mogherini warned in a statement quoted by AFP.
The European Union "deeply regrets that Israel is proceeding with this, despite the continuous serious international concern and objections, which have been constantly raised at all levels," she added.
Mogherini said that the Israeli construction "goes directly against" EU policy and the recommendations of the Quartet, which is made up of the EU, the United States, the United Nations and Russia.
"A negotiated two-state solution is the only way to fulfill the legitimate aspirations of both parties and to achieve enduring peace," she added.
Also on Wednesday, a spokesman for the French Foreign Ministry sharply condemned the building permits, saying, “Israeli authorities announced yesterday that they had issued permits for 3,000 more units in Israeli 'settlements' in Judea and Samaria. Within a week they have announced some 6,000 units, more than double those which were approved in the whole of 2016."
Police were given the orders to empty the outpost, home to 40 families. According to a spokesperson for protesters against the move, about 1,700 people were also on the site to support the residents and block the evacuation. That figure couldn’t be independently verified, however. Several right-wing lawmakers also arrived to show their support.
On Tuesday residents were given eviction notices, warning them to be out of their homes within 48 hours. The order allowed residents to file a new appeal to the IDF for a further 48-hour extension. Nevertheless, police began the evacuations a day later.
After over a decade of delays and legal wrangling, the High Court ruled in December 2014 that Amona, which lies east of Ramallah, was built on private Palestinian land and must be demolished. Nine homes in the adjacent Ofra settlement were also due to be demolished.
The eviction came ahead of the final February 8 deadline to demolish the outpost.
“We fought a hard fight but we were confronted with a final court order by the High Court of Justice. We came to Amona and looked the residents in the eye. We knew that we were embarking on a struggle against all odds, but we didn’t give up. Together with the residents, we turned over every stone, we explored all possibilities and exhausted all ways to save Amona,” Bennett said. “To our regret, the struggle over Amona was not successful. We lost the battle, but we will in the war over the Land of Israel.”
In a deal struck last month with the government, the outpost residents agreed to move peacefully to an adjacent plot. But the deal was complicated after a Palestinian claimed ownership of the nearby hilltop, prompting the High Court to order a stop to all work on the site. A ruling on the matter was expected from the court on Wednesday.
Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett on Wednesday hailed the residents of Amona as “heroes” whose campaign to stay in their homes will lead to the annexation of the West Bank and avert future evacuations in the settlements.
The leader of the right-wing party spoke as hundreds of police and bulldozers entered the West Bank outpost to demolish it per a 2014 court order which ruled it was built on privately owned Palestinian land.
Several lawmakers from the Jewish Home party were at the outpost in a show of solidarity with the Amona residents.
“From this legal defeat we will establish a new legal regime in Judea and Samaria that will regulate the entirety of settlements, and from the painful loss of this foothold in this mountain will emerge the State of Israel’s application of sovereignty over all of Judea and Samaria,” said the education minister in the Knesset plenum.
Earlier on Wednesday, ahead of the outpost’s razing, the government approved 3,000 more settlement homes.
“From this hard day, hope will flourish,” he said. “From the ruins of Amona, we will build a new settlement. From the destroyed kindergartens will be established new kindergartens all across Judea and Samaria.”
The live television coverage worldwide of 3,000 Israeli cops and soldiers Wednesday, Feb. 1 as they dragged people out of 42 family homes in Amona, a tiny Jewish farming outpost on a hilltop northeast of Ramallah, was an agonizing sight for every Israeli – whatever his or her political stripe. They differed only in assigning blame, but almost all awarded the country’s ruling institutions a failed grade for allowing the Amona affair to reach its tragic moment, although it contributes nothing toward solving the dispute with the Palestinians.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, and the two Jewish Home ministers Naftali Bennett, Education, and Ayelet Shaked, Justice, lost their right to claim leadership of the right-wing camp at Amona, 2017.
They stand accused of learning nothing from the traumas of the forcible evacuation of 8,500 Jewish families from Gush Katif, as part of Ariel Sharon’s unilateral disengagement from the Gaza Strip; and the brutal mounted police charge ordered by Ehud Olmert in 2006 to remove Jewish families from Amona in its previous incarnation. Neither action brought Israeli an inch closer to peace with the Palestinians.,
Bennett was booed by the faithful of his party when he tried to argue that the battle for Amona may have been lost, but the war for Judea and Samira has been won. Time will tell whether this claim holds up, even during the Trump administration, with which he claims covert contacts.
Good post on wings of prophescy today , make no mistake , trump has been put there by the elites to start race wars , civil unrest and ww3 plus much more , chaos will abound more than ever like never before
Brother Mark - What? Your comment regarding President Trump is false. Interesting that you refer to a site that warns of "false prophets", yet she herself is a false prophet. She and these false teachings are exactly what Jesus warned us of. We His Church, are NOT going through the Tribulation, and we His Church do NOT replace His People, the Jewish People. btw, in Matthew 24, Jesus is speaking to the Jewish Believers of the Tribulation...
I've always wondered what it would serve a Christian to go through the tribulation. For God's grace to basically be stripped from your life I just don't want to imagine that. I need his grace so much more everyday. Maybe I don't understand completely the ramifications of the tribulation
"While many people think the tribulation will involve the church, the Bible does not provide support for such a notion. Instead, Scripture informs us of at least a three-fold purpose for the coming tribulation, none of which involves the church. The New Testament teaches that the church will be taken at the rapture to be with the Lord before the tribulation begins, because God has not destined His bride for His wrath (Romans 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 5:9; Revelation 3:10). Other groups of redeemed individuals will go through the tribulation, but not Christ’s bride, the church." —Dr. Thomas Ice
For the whole article: https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/gods-purpose-tribulation/
Indeed. Not to mention Jesus took the wrath for His church. If the church had to experience Gods wrath during the tribulation it would contradict everything we know about salvation. And this is confirmed in 1 thessalonians 1:10, Rev 3:10, john 14, Rev 4 the absence of the church in Rev 6-18, and on and on it goes
Thank u dave
Post a Comment