“Iraqi Christians have faced kidnappings, threats and even death for being followers of Jesus. And they have little faith in their government to provide security as we see in the tragedies unfolding the last month.”
Guinea has declared a “health emergency” as the number of people killed by the Ebola virus in the West African nation reached 377. More flights to West African countries have been cancelled as the region waits for the arrival of experimental drugs.
Guinean President Alpha Conde has announced a series of measures aimed to limit the spread of the disease including travel restrictions, strict controls at border points and a complete ban on moving bodies“from one town to another until the end of the epidemic.”
All suspected victims will also be forced to go to hospital until they are clear of infection.
South Africa has also repordedly declared its first suspected case of Ebola. A spokesman for the South African Province of DA Gauteng, Jack Bloom, said Thursday that there is a suspected case of the deadly virus at the Rahima Moosa Hospital.
“The patient is from Guinea and is presently being kept in isolation. If it is a confirmed Ebola case then the patient will be transferred to the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Hospital which has been designated to treat Ebola with all due safeguards,” he said, as quoted by the Citizen, a South African tabloid.
In the worst epidemic since the disease was first discovered in 1976, the death toll has now reached 1,069 with 56 people dying in two days and a total of 2,000 infected, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
1st Cavalry Soldiers Headed To Poland, Baltics: At The Request Of Nations That Fear A Resurgent Russia
For months, the Russian military has massed forces along the border with Ukraine and provided advanced weaponry and other assistance to the rebels. In recent days, Moscow has announced its intention to send a convoy of trucks into Ukraine to deliver what it says is humanitarian aid to separatist-held areas under pressure from Ukrainian government forces.
A column of armoured vehicles and military trucks crossed the border from Russia into Ukraine on Thursday night, in the first confirmed sighting of such an incident by Western journalists.
A separate, larger convoy of around 270 Russian trucks, which Moscow claims is carrying aid, rumbled to a halt just short of the border on Thursday night, while in east Ukraine, shells hit the centre of rebel-held Donetsk for the first time.
The Telegraph witnessed a column of vehicles including both armoured personal carriers and soft-skinned lorries crossing into Ukraine at an obscure border crossing near the Russian town of Donetsk shortly before 10pm local time.
The Ukrainian and Western governments have long accused Russia of filtering arms and men across the border to fuel the separatist insurgency in Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions, but such an incident has never before been witnessed by Western journalists.
The convoy, which included at least 23 vehicles, appeared to be waiting until sunset near a refugee camp just outside Donetsk, before moving towards the crossing without turning off headlights or making any other attempt to conceal itself.
While it was not immediately clear whether all of that convoy crossed the border, The Telegraph did see a substantial number of vehicles pass through check point manned by gunmen after shadowing the convoy down narrow country lanes near the frontier.
While the force did not seem to be a substantial invasion force, it confirms that military supplies are moving across the border. While the APCs carried no visible markings the fuel tankers and soft-skinned trucks in the convoy bore black Russian military number plates.
After leaving Voronezh, the 270-vehicle convoy barrelled south towards Rostov-on-Don – a major city that could serve as another staging point.
But halfway the vast column of white-painted lorries and support vehicles took a westward turn towards the border town of Donetsk – not to be confused with the Ukrainian city of the same name – where Ukrainian forces have lost control of the border and rebels rule the land.
In a choking cloud of dust, the white-painted lorries crawled off the road and lumbered into place in serried lines on the parched field.
The apparently less-than-happy relationship between the Israeli government and the American administration is once again dominating local headlines, after the Wall Street Journalrevealed Thursday that the White House had suspended a shipment of Hellfire missiles to its closest ally in the Middle East.
How bad is it this time? The personal relationship between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Barack Obama is known to be frosty, so does the “particularly combative phone call” the two leaders had Wednesday, according to the paper, really signify a new crisis?
Does the “additional care” Washington is taking now before delivering weapons to Israel, as State Department spokesperson Marie Harf described it Thursday, herald a new nadir in ties? This kind of “additional care” is paid to arms deliveries “in any crisis,” Harf claimed, adding that it’s “
Other observers, though, are firmly in the “Be afraid” camp, and consider the Wall Street Journal’s report to reflect more than just a quarrel that can be settled with a visit to Washington and a few nice words.
“It’s a major crisis. Suspending the supply of weapons to Israel during a war is an unusual occurrence,” said Eytan Gilboa, an expert on US-Israeli relations at Bar-Ilan University’s Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies. “It’s a very serious rupture in the mutual relations between the two countries.”