It has come slowly over a period of decades - so slowly that we barely notice. NSA spying, TSA abuse, militarized police, massive incarcerations, drones, spy cameras, GPS tracking, proxy wars, false flags, etc., you name it, it's here and it's here to stay:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has put in an acquisition request to buy body armor — specifically, “ballistic vests, compliant with NIJ 0101.06 for Level IIIA Ballistic Resistance of body armor,” the solicitation stated.
The request was put in writing and posted on May 7 — just a few days before the same agency sought “the commercial acquisition of submachine guns” equipped for 30-round magazines, Breitbart reported.
The May 7 solicitation reads: “The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of Inspector General, [seeks] Body Armor [that’s] gender specific, lightweight, [containing] plate/pad (hard or soft) and concealable carrier. [Also a] tactical vest, undergarment (white), identification patches, accessories (6 pouches), body armor carry bag and professional measurements,” Breitbart reported.
The solicitation also reads that “all responsible and/or interested sources may submit their company name, point of contact and telephone number,” the media outlet reported. And “timely” respondents “shall be considered by the agency for contact,” Breitbart said.
Add it to the list of federal agencies making requests for guns and ammunition in recent months.
Earlier this year, the U.S. Postal Service requested the go-ahead to buy “assorted small arms ammunition,” via a website posting. A year ago, the Social Security Administration put in a request for 174,000 rounds of what that agency described as “.357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow-point” bullets.
And the Department of Homeland Security raised eyebrows with its recent request for 450 million rounds — at about the same time the FBI asked for 100 million hollow-point rounds.
On top of that, the Department of Agriculture itself sought 320,000 rounds within the last year or so.
'At every juncture, there was a settlement announcement. It was the thing that kept throwing a wrench in gear'
For the first time since the Israeli-Palestinian peace talks halted, US President Barack Obama has directly blamed Israel for the failure of negotiations, the New York Times reported Thursday.
"At every juncture, there was a settlement announcement," a senior administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said. "It was the thing that kept throwing a wrench in the gears."
The official also said Obama still believes that another round of talks is possible during his term, but wants now "to let the failure of the talks sink in for both parties, and see if that causes them to reconsider."
The administration also wants to make clear to both parties that "they have a door that’s open," the official added. "If they want to walk through that door, we’ll be there to work with them."
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Sunday that the prevalence of anti-Semitsm in the West Bank, as noted in theAnti-Defamation League's global survey of the phenomenon released last week, is the result of the Palestinian leadership's incitement.
Ranking anti-Semitic sentiments by region, the ADL determined that the most anti-Semitic regions were found to be the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Palestinian anti-Semitism is “pervasive throughout society,” the ADL found, with 93% of respondents affirming anti-Jewish stereotypes.
The prime minister expressed pessimism about the prospects for peace with the Palestinians, in light of last week's rallies marking Nakba Day in the West Bank and Gaza. The "Nakba," or "catastrophe" in Arabic, is the day in which Palestinians mourn the founding of the state of Israel in 1948.
"Those who see the establishment of the state of Israel as a disaster, do not want peace," Netanyahu stated.
As talks between world powers and Iran came to a closewithout any signs of progress, Tehran said Sunday that the Arak research reactor, which the West fears can be used to make plutonium for a nuclear bomb, would continue its work with 40 megawatts of power.
In comments carried by Iran's Press TV, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi emphasized that the Arak reactor would remain a heavy water facility and also stressed that Iran has the right to enrich uranium.
Araqchi said on Friday that no progress had been made during the fourth round of negotiations in Vienna.
"The talks were serious and constructive but no progress has been made," Araqchi told reporters at the end of the fourth round of negotiations between Iran and the United States, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia.
The negotiations began in February and are aimed at reaching a long-term deal to curb sensitive parts of Iran's nuclear program in exchange for a gradual lifting of sanctions.
"We have not reached the point to start drafting the final agreement," he said.
“Talks have been slow and difficult. Significant gaps remain,” a US official said after the talks concluded. “Iran still has some hard decisions to make. We’re concerned that progress is not being made and that time is short.”
After three months of comparing expectations rather than negotiating possible compromises, the sides had planned at the May 13-16 meeting to start drafting the text of a final agreement that could overcome many years of enmity and mistrust and dispel fears of a devastating, wider Middle East war.