Economics and Trade Minister Naftali Bennett (Jewish Home) said Saturday that a “bad deal” with Iran on curbing its nuclear program would “increase the need for Israeli [military] action.”
“If there will be a deal which would allow Iran to have the ability to ‘break out’ and build a bomb within six weeks, we cannot sit idly by in this situation and we will examine all the options,” Bennett told Channel 2 Saturday evening.
The Jewish Home leader’s latest statements came astop world diplomats were in Geneva Saturday working on a deal with Iran on its nuclear program, for the fourth consecutive day.
Earlier this month, Bennett was dispatched to the United States to lobby the US Congress and the public against easing sanctions on Iran in the framework of a possible deal which would see Tehran curbing its nuclear program, just as the Obama administration urged for more time for diplomacy, arguing against increased sanctions.
Speaking at the Brookings Institute in Washington last week, Bennett told a US crowd that a nuclear deal was possible, but only if the West dialed up sanctions instead of offering to ease up on them.
In an interview before his US trip, Bennett said that “the survival of Israel and the security of the Western world” hinged on dismantling Iran’s nuclear program, and not merely “clicking on the pause button.” Bennett said that if, in 10 years’ time, “a nuclear suitcase explodes in New York,” it will “because of concessions that happened in recent days.”