Saturday, April 23, 2011

Why We Watch

Prophecy watchers (for lack of a better term) are an interesting group of people; a group of people that I love to be around. There is something special about gathering with a group of people, whether small or large, all sharing a passion for watching these last days unfold just as the prophetic scriptures have indicated. There is something special about sharing the excitement and anticipation of knowing that our Lord Jesus is coming back very soon.

And that's what its really all about. Waiting for Him. Jesus.

This is why we watch the news and the various events unfolding around the world - all of which tell us daily that our days on this earth are drawing to a close. We don't watch the news in order to be proven "correct" about our prophetic views, or any other alternative reason. Most prophecy watchers that I know all share one common driving force - and that is simply a focus or an obsession with Jesus Himself and a deep deep longing and desire to be with Him.

Its really is that simple.

Its hard to imagine what it will be like on that day - at that very moment when we actually see his face - up close and in person. When we actually have a chance to speak with Him directly and personally. When we can thank Him for what He did on that cross.

This time of year, I always reflect on the unimaginable sacrifice that He made for all of us.

An article used to circulate every Easter (I forget the title or the author's name), as written by a physician, who detailed the physical pain and suffering that Jesus experienced on His last days. It is too long and complicated, but the pain that Jesus experienced as a result of the beatings, the scourging, carrying the cross through the streets of Jerusalem, the nails, the internal bleeding, the external bleeding, the crown of thorns, the asphyxiation, and all during a period of near shock. This was the most brutal death that a human could endure.

And all during that time, as typical for Jesus, His only concern was for those around Him.

- He forgave those who were putting him on the cross and mocking and beating Him.
- He made sure that John would attend to and take care of Mary.
- He concerned Himself with the person next to Him on the cross, and granted him salvation based on his belief.

But more importantly, He did it for all of us. He endured every bit of that - not just the pain and suffering, but also the taking on our sins - so that He could be with us for eternity.

He loves us that much.

With that in mind, Jesus also gave comfort to His apostles, just before His arrest just days earlier. He was concerned about the anguish, pain and fear that they would experience as He was taken away to be crucified. And He gave them these words:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled.
Trust in God; trust also in me.

In my Father's house there are many rooms;
if it were not so, I would have told you.

I am going there to prepare a place for you.
And if I go there to prepare a place for you,
I will come back and take you to be with me

that you also may be where I am."


(John 14:1-3)

This passage, of course, is revealing the process of the ancient Jewish Wedding. And that takes us to the following articles - two articles which remind us of this entire marriage process and the parallels to the Rapture of the Church. The third article, as written by Joel Rosenberg, puts this season in perspective and is well worth reading.

The bottom line?

Jesus paid the purchase price for His Bride when He died on the cross that day in Jerusalem. After a brief stay on the earth following His resurrection, He went back to the Father's house in order to prepare a place for His Bride, the Church. And just as the bridegroom in ancient times would return to the Father's house to prepare the living arrangements for the couple, Jesus has returned to the Father's house to prepare New Jerusalem - our eternal home (Revelation 3:12, 21:2, 21:9-10 and Revelation 21,22).

The next step in this progression of events is the groom, Jesus, coming back for His Bride - The Church.

Our blessed hope:

The Rapture and the Jewish Wedding Model

Jewish Marriage Customs: Behold, The Bridegroom Comes!

Do You Know Him?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott-thank you so much! I've spent much of my day sobbing. Tried to talk to my daughter again about Jesus and the rapture, to no avail sadly. I finally told her just to look in my top dresser drawer for a letter after I am gone. I hunger for his return greatly but am so sad for my children. And every other unsaved soul! I thank God for you and everyone on here who supports and uplifts each other!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus!

WVBORN56

Anonymous said...

HE IS RISEN! HE IS RISEN!

Paula said...

Yes, the love motive! As I asked in recent blog posts of my own (see list at http://www.fether.net/2011/04/23/one-of-a-kind/), how can a bride not eagerly long for her groom? We should all be "looking out the windows", pacing, finding it difficult to focus on mundane tasks as we see all the signs. That there are so many who are indifferent or even hostile is one of them, because it shows that the "bride" does not really love her "groom" at all.

Caver said...

You're right....the world does consider us unusual ducks. Even real serious Born Again Christians.

I've often felt we have been given an end of days type "Gift", one not so common or historical. One reserved for these days and times. But our numbers are growing....greatly. Maybe that's our job, to open other people's eyes, I don't know.

Serious Christians who a year ago certainly respected the "insight" but gave it no real weight are starting to want real conversation on the subject. It seems so much is occurring that its important to know where we're at and they realize more and more folk are becoming aware and insightful of the times we're in. Even my pastor said in Church that it seems the Lord seems to be raising up and giving insight (discernment) to a new group, those understanding prophecy and where we are in terms or world events/prophecy.

Yes, I agree completely......we watchers are focused a little differently with respect to past generations. I'm convinced we have a job to do but am not completely convinced the totality of it has been revealed to us yet. I do think things are going to get rough and our real "job" is yet future.

Anonymous said...

He is Risen indeed. Come Lord Jesus.

Anonymous said...

How many were saved in Noah's day? Yes we are considered unusual ducks that is why I am so thankful for this website.

Anonymous said...

I will never fully understand the love that was nailed to the cross. I've often wondered if Jesus died of a broken heart. Thank you Father for sending us the perfect wedding gift that will last for all eternity.

~gearedup2go

Scott said...

Great comments all around. We have such a great community here - and as stated, there is nothing like a bunch of prophecy watchers congregating - its really special. I also believe it pleases God and that makes it all the better. I'm eternally grateful for this community and the people who come here and offer their perspective and insight, and the comments are usually better than the original posts :)
God Bless all of you and I can't wait to meet all of you in heaven - hopefully very soon.
God BLess, and have a blessed Easter
Scott

Anonymous said...

No, thank YOU Scott. If it wasn't for your blog I would have very few fellow watchmen on the wall to celebrate each passing prophetic event. I can't wait for you to receive your reward--complete with a crown filled with stars for your stewardship. God bless you, Scott.

~gearedup2go

Scott said...

Thanks so much gearedup - The exact same awaits you brother!
We're all watching together - thats what makes it so unique and gives such a sense of community. I think its exactly what Paul had in mind with his message of hope and encouragement among believers. He was so so right.
God Bless
Scott

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am your sister in Christ. :-)

My name, gearedup2go, reflects the shifting up in gears as I explore trails and such on my mountain bike. It also reflects my passion for preparation for the coming rapture. So when I do arrive at those pearly gates, I'll look for you along with my brothers and sisters in Christ by the Tree of Life for the greatest reunion of all.

Scott said...

Opps! Sorry gearedup! Its funny, because when I wrote that, I did indeed tink "hmmm....maybe gearedup is a woman.....maybe I shouldn't go out on the proverbial limb and assume a man....". Oh well.

It was worth it to discover your unique name and the fact that you have an interest in mountain biking...What part of the country do you explore these trails and ride the mtn bike?

Thanks again for all the great comments - my sister!
I'll look for you on a mountain bike in New Jerusalem!

Anonymous said...

gearedup2go, you sound like my son who is an avid outdoorsman. He is a mountain biker and huge rock climber, runs marathons and has climbed the face of half dome in Yosemite. He also loves the Lord.

WVBORN56

Anonymous said...

Scott, no apology necessary. :-) Someday soon I hope to trade in my mountain bike for walking in zero gravity in Heaven. ;-) Imagine zipping around all of creation in a blink of an eye.

WV--you must be very proud of your son and his tremendous athletic feats. How wonderful that God gave him such unique talents and gifts. :-)

~gearedup2go